Dietitians are registered health professionals who provide specialist advice about food and nutrition to clients and those who care for them.
The clinical dietitian team at Waikato Hospital has specialist dietitians who provide services to all wards. They also provide outpatient services within both adult and paediatric areas.
Community health dietitians work with clients to provide education and support with dietary treatment. They provide services at Thames, Tokoroa, Te Kuiti and Taumarunui hospitals, at Matariki and Rhoda Read Continuing Care facilities, clinics at community bases and also visit clients in their homes.
Dietitians employed by food service at Waikato Hospital plan and manage the in-patient and Meals on Wheels service. They ensure that food provided is appealing, safe, good quality and meets the nutritional requirements of individuals necessary to support their clinical care and treatment, or for Meals on Wheels recipients, to help them remain independent in their own home.
The Regional Diabetes Service dietitians work in a multi-disciplinary team and in sub-specialty teams such as diabetes and pregnancy, adolescent and young adult programmes, and the adult weight management programme.
Group programmes provided include:
- Adult Weight Management Programme
- Bodywise (a family focused weight management programme for children aged 5-12 years)
Diet and nutrition can support positive health outcomes for a number of conditions such as:
- disorders of the mouth and throat, oesophagus, stomach or duodenum/colon
- malabsorption conditions
- diabetes mellitus
- cardiovascular disease
- neuro-degenerative disorders
- food allergy and intolerance
- specialist feeding regimes e.g. enteral feeding
- post-surgical clients e.g. wound healing
- mental health conditions, e.g. eating disorders
- kidney disease
Manager, Nutrition and Food
Waikato DHB’s dietitians work in community and hospital settings across the district. They work closely with doctors, nurses and other health professionals.
- Clinical Dietetic service, Waikato Hospital, Pembroke St, Hamilton
- Community bases throughout the district
- Nutrition and Food Services, Waikato Hospital, Pembroke St, Hamilton
- Regional Diabetes Service, 26 Clarence Street, Hamilton
Phone 07 839 8899 for all hospital departments and services
Referrals are sent to the service by general practitioners (GPs) or other health specialists.
Referrals must come through the Community Regional Referral Centre.
Community Regional Referral Centre
Fax: 07 858 1071
Any queries can be directed to email@example.com
Please note: Referrals for patients with diabetes should be sent to the Regional Diabetes Service.